Reuben Saltzman

Radon licensing requirements for Minnesota

It’s official, radon licensing has arrived in Minnesota. As of today, January 1st, anyone who does a radon test in a building that they don’t own or lease will need to be licensed by the Minnesota Department of Health. The same was supposed to go for the installation of radon mitigation systems, but a tempory injunction has put a halt to that; see

Radon licensing has been in the works since 2015 (see Minnesota Radon Licensing Act). I’m not a huge fan of this change, simply because of increased bureaucracy.

Licensed radon professionals will now need to submit licensing fees, detailed quarterly reports of everything we’ve done, proof of continuing education, and other stuff that we’ve never had to do before. It all boils down to a lot more red tape for us. Consumers who hire professionals to test for radon will definitely see an increase in radon testing fees to cover these additional administrative costs. Here at Structure Tech, we’ve hired on another full-time radon technician to help cover the additional labor needs.

On the bright side, I expect this new requirement to eliminate the radon testing clowns. These were the fools who were placing radon tests in crawl spaces, using unapproved devices, and other similar tactics that were just plain goofy and not befitting of a professional. Good riddance to all of that tomfoolery. I hope that in the end, this new licensing will benefit the consumer.

To verify that your radon testing professional is properly licensed, visit to search.

Author: Reuben SaltzmanStructure Tech Home Inspections

Subscribe button

2 responses to “Radon licensing requirements for Minnesota”

  1. Hank Spinnler
    January 1, 2019, 10:07 am

    Happy New Year Reuben. As always, your blog always informs and entertains. I can’t believe you don’t have licensing for home inspectors yet in MN. OH just passed their licensing law. Like you, I don’t like the increased bureaucracy and red tape. Unfortunately, the law won’t totally eliminate the “tomfoolery” you see. Folks will circumnavigate the law.

    I think the 2 year renewal requirement for radon measurement provider certification through AARST/NRPP is a silly requirement as the physics of radon does not change and there if very little year-to-year change in the industry. It’s a cash cow for the governing bodies. I realize it does employ people, educate and fund radon awareness programs though.

  2. Terry Howell
    January 2, 2019, 11:15 am

    Reuben, Hank,
    Just as a point of clarification, Minnesota does not require that you maintain dual certification through the NRPP or the NRSB.
    You are required to take and approved course and pass the exam for either of these programs and thereafter maintain continuing education.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Comments on posts over 90 days old are disabled, as of 1/7/14.