Robin Jade Conde

PODCAST: CO Safety and getting thrown under the bus

Today’s show is about carbon monoxide (CO). Improperly ventilated appliances in enclosed spaces may allow CO to accumulate to dangerous levels. 

 Reuben shares that Appendix D of the International Residential Code (IRC) stipulates the standards in testing fuel gas-fired appliances for safety. Tessa mentions that there are various methods and variables in testing appliances, however, home inspectors are not required to do a back-drafting test or a combustion gas analysis on appliances. They also talk about back-drafting signs and factors, how long appliances establish proper draft, as well as other testing standards and practices. Reuben highlights why testing is not encouraged for home inspectors and why it should be.

Tessa mentions that gas ranges potentially are the biggest source of carbon monoxide because they are designed to vent combustion gases into the house. She highlights the need for proper exhaust while using gas ranges. Bill asks about the difference in the CO hazard of high-efficiency furnaces. 

Recently, a family in Minnesota died due to carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Reuben highlights that CO alarms are lifesavers.

Useful links:

Appendix D, Minnesota Gas Code:

Gas-fired Kitchen Ranges:

Carbon Monoxide Levels Chart:

CO poisoning accident: